Friday, May 23, 2008

My Love of Reading

I decided that I wanted a place to journal what I have been reading. I hope that this blog can be used as a place for people to get suggestions for a good read.

I love books. I love everything about books. I love to just look at them and touch them. I know it sounds weird, but I am passionate about books. I am a busy mom, so I don't get as much time to read as I want. When I do have time, reading is what I choose to do. I read almost anything.

In addition to reading on my own for pleasure, I belong to a book club (made up of my three best friends). These three other wonderful, intelligent women and I started a "book club" over ten years ago. We were meeting on a regular basis for coffee and dinner in a local bookstore. What started as a whim became one of the most enjoyable parts of my life. Because we all love reading and wanted to share that passion with each other, we decided to each buy a copy of a book and read it together. Our first book was The History of Danish Dreams. We each take turns choosing a book, we all buy it, read it and get together to discuss it. We have read books of all types from the silly and frivolous (Flaming Iguanas) to the serious and thought provoking (A Tree Grows in Brooklyn). We have read somewhere around 40 books now, for better or worse, and had a wonderful time doing it. We marked our ten year anniversary this January and I can see us celebrating many more anniversaries. For anyone out there who knows someone else who loves to read, I suggest that you start a book club. Having someone else to discuss a book with, as you are reading it, is so enjoyable. I believe it makes the experience of reading the book more enriching, as well.

When I read a book, I will post my thoughts about that book on this blog. I hope that those that come across this blog will gain something from it.

Happy Reading!

No comments: