Saturday, July 19, 2008

Annie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral

I literally just finished Annie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral by Kris Radish. This book was not what I expected. I thought it would be a fast, fun romp. Just goes to show you that you should not judge a book by it's cover. That doesn't mean that it was not a fabulous book...quite the contrary. This book will be added to my list of favorites. It is one that I will probably read again.

The book is beautifully written, and was a fun romp. But I found that it was not fast. Part of that was because I wanted to savor it. Part of that is because you have to pay attention when you are reading this book. It is a very intelligent and thought provoking book, that uses a lot of symbolism and imagery, and you can miss the point of some of it if you aren't paying attention. I found that I needed to slow down and let myself think about my own life and situation.

The characters are instantly likable and memorable, even the sub characters. The plot involves five women who have one friend in common that has passed away, Annie Freeman. She leaves them with instructions to spread her ashes in places, all across the country, that had significance to her. She has planned the adventure, made their reservations and all other arrangements. They are to figure out what to do with her ashes at each different destination. She trusts that, together, they will know what to do. At each destination they must figure out what made that place special to Annie through the people that they meet and the adventures that they encounter. The traveling funeral becomes a real living thing. It has a life of its own and along the way, the women meet people that will become life long friends and learn some very valuable lessons. Lessons that help them change their lives. I found that I needed to slow down, look at my own life and learn the lessons right along with the five women in the book. Which is exactly what Annie would have wanted!

I must caution the prospective reader not to pick this book up if you have an open wound from the loss, or potential loss, of a maternal figure in your life. There are several references to losing mothers, terminally ill mothers, sick and dying mothers that were very difficult for me to get through given that my mother is terminally ill with breast cancer. There were times that the ache in my chest was too much and I had to put the book down. That being said, it is a book that I think would help people heal that open wound, as long as it isn't too fresh. I think I may need to read this book again at that point in my life.

It is another one that I would highly recommend. I say that a lot...I love books and rarely find one that I wouldn't want to share. This is definitely one that should be on a must read list. And I can't wait to read another Kris Radish book.

Happy Reading!

No comments: