Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Wild Fire

Wild Fire by Nelson DeMille is the fourth installment in a series about NYPD cop turned ATTF agent John Corey. I have not read the first two, but the third, Night Fall, was fantastic. After reading Night Fall, I could not wait to read Wild Fire and see what happened next.

In this installment, an FBI agent goes missing and John Corey and his FBI agent wife investigate. The missing agent was on a surveillance mission at an exclusive, private hunting club where hunting was not the main activity, issues involving national security are the main purpose. So that I don't give anything away, I won't go any further. Nelson DeMille is very good at weaving a mystery and I don't want to give away any spoilers.

Nelson DeMille's writing is very entertaining. At the same time that he is weaving a mystery that keeps you guessing, he also makes you laugh with little one liners and jokes told from the character's perspective. I did not feel that this novel was as suspenseful or as funny as the last, though. I also felt that the book was a little slow to lead up to the explosive ending and then everything wrapped up very quickly. I would have liked to see what happened at the end, a little sooner and then a little more detail after.

I was also hoping for a little more information as to what happened after the climatic ending of Night Fall. There are a few references to that book, but not as many as I was hoping for. Although, I guess any author that writes series novels needs to be careful about how much each book relies on the book before.

Wild Fire as a stand alone book was very good, not as good as other DeMille fiction, but still good. As a follow up to Night Fall, I was a little disappointed. I would still recommend it, but maybe the reader who has been following the series should wait a while after reading Night Fall before picking this one up.

Happy Reading!

No comments: