Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Taking

The Taking is a supernatural thriller by Dean Koontz. A strange rain begins to fall overnight in a small town. As the evening progresses, the rain gets heavier, the animals begin to act strangely and the people in the town realize that the world is being taken over. Figuring out by whom and how to defend themselves becomes top priority.

The storyline was a little slow to start for me, and then Koontz's love of alliteration and description started to get on my nerves. But I stuck it out because I wanted to see what would happen. I am glad that I did. I got over the alliteration fascination and the over descriptive prose and the story was worth it. The main characters are likeable and the story has enough twists and turns to keep the reader guessing, and wanting to find out more.

This was not an overly scary Koontz novel. Some of his works will really scare me and can't be read after dark or when alone. This one was a suspenseful thriller without being so realistic that it became scary. I enjoyed the underlying moral lesson at the end of the book as well. That was a different spin for Koontz and one I found surprising. Not my favorite Koontz book but if you are a Koontz fan, then I recommend this one.

Happy Reading!

No comments: