Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Dragonfly in Amber

Dragonfly in Amber is the second installment of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series.  What an epic adventure full of mystery, intrigue, romance, and violence, and rich in history!  I am at a loss for a way to write about such an all encompassing tale.

I don't want to spoil anything with this series, so there is very little I can say.  Many questions that the reader was left with after the first book are answered here.  Once again the story is told from two different times.  Jamie and Claire know what lies in the future.  In this book, they have very difficult decisions to make about whether they can do anything to alter the course of history.  They suffer personal setbacks and heartbreak, make amazing friends, and find courage where there is none to be found.  And in the end, make the most difficult decision they have faced yet.  But then the reader is left with even more questions.  "What will happen next?" being the foremost question in our minds.  But more than that, we are left with such detailed questions that another reader of the series assures me will all be answered with the next installment.

These books are each an incredible undertaking and each could easily be separated into three individual books.  Because they are epic in scale, as desperately as I want to dive into the next, I must take a break and read some lighter material.  I highly recommend this series.  It has everything the reader could want and I eagerly await the moment when starting the next one feels right.

Happy Reading!

No comments: