Sunday, October 26, 2008

Burnt Offerings

Burnt Offerings is book seven in the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter novels written by Laurell K. Hamilton. It was not the best one that I have read. But the series still has me hooked.

In this edition of Anita's life, the Vampire Council pays her vampire boyfriend a visit. The result is lots of gruesome torture, tense moments, and more information into the politics of being a vampire. It is a fast paced novel, but not as gripping as the others. Anita's character doesn't develop much further in this novel. There is a side plot of Anita helping with a police investigation of vampires being burned, that sort of gets forgotten in the middle of the novel. I felt that the end was just wrapped up too nicely and quickly. The writing is still witty and fun, with lots of macabre thrown in, too.

These novels never disappoint when it comes to the grotesque stuff nightmares are made of, and the author has begun to throw a lot of sex in, too. The novels started PG-13 and are now becoming NC-17! From what I hear, they will soon move into XXX.

I am the type if reader that will need to see what happens to Anita and her friends as the story continues. I can't put a book down without finishing it, even if I don't like the book. Kinda stupid, I know, because I waste my time on something that I don't really enjoy. But that is how I am. I know that I will probably see this series through to the end. But I have heard that the books don't get any better from this point on. Regardless, I am already reading number seven, Blue Moon.

Happy Reading!

No comments: