Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

I know, I am behind the times. Most of the best sellers that I read, I read WAY after they have been on the best sellers list. This is one of those. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares was published in 2001, eight years ago! I had wanted to read it but it just hadn't made it to the top of my list yet. Then a friend loaned the whole series to me - all four books. I picked it up and was hooked. Finished this book in two days and started the second one right away.

The Sisterhood is made up of four high school friends. The girls mothers were friends but as their lives changed the adults became distanced. The girls, however, remained best friends. They have spent their lives together and this particular summer will be spending their first summer apart. They are girls that most readers can identify with in some way. The "pants" are a consignment shop treasure that miraculously fit all four of the girls, even though they are different shapes and sizes. Hence, their magical nature. The girls decide to share the pants. They see it as a way to stay connected during their summer apart. They make rules that must be adhered to and document the things that happen to them in the pants. The book is, of course, about more than the pants and the adventures that happen when the girls are wearing them. The book is about the individual sisters and the group as a whole.

I loved the sisterhood that the girls share. Having three best friends myself and being a part of a group that shares that kind of love made me love this book all the more. These girls are so open about their feelings for one another and are always there to support each other. Even when that supporting means saying something that the other does not want to hear. Each of the girls has her flaws. That makes the characters more real. They are there for each other through everything - which anyone who has a best friend can identify with.

I absolutely loved this book and started the second one right away. I would highly recommend it. I can't wait to see where the girls second adventure takes them.

Happy Reading!

No comments: