Saturday, January 1, 2011

Catch Up

It has been two months since I have posted. Life got too busy, and I have not had time to journal what I have been reading. I did not keep a record of those books either, so I will try to recount to the best of my knowledge what I have read. I can only come up with three books, in addition to the one I am currently reading, though, and I believe I am forgetting something.

I read Happily Ever After, by Nora Roberts, which completed the Bride Quartet series. It was a fun, quick read, like the others in the series. Nothing of significance to note.

I read Home Again, by Kristin Hannah. This was a book that was offered at a deep discount for the nook. Having read and thoroughly enjoyed Hannah before, I purchased it. It was not as good as the other novel of hers that I have read. But, it was enjoyable. Family drama and romance are at the heart of this novel, and I finished it quickly.

Eat Pray Love, by Elizabeth Gilbert, was a book club pick. Based on the hype of this book from numerous sources, I thought (as did the rest of my BC girls) that this one would be a true winner, a favorite pick of the year. The book was a real disappointment. I expected some sort of "a-ha" moment while reading it. Sadly, I didn't have any, and I think my review of it would be better if there had not been so much hype surrounding the book.

Eat Pray Love is a non-fiction work, based on Elizabeth Gilbert's quest to find balance in her life, between the pleasurable and the spiritual. She deals with a difficult divorce, travels to Italy for pleasure (Eat), to India for spiritual (Pray) and to Indonesia to find balance and happiness (Love).

I am sure there were themes and messages in this book that eluded me. There must have been for it to be so critically acclaimed. I didn't get it. I enjoyed the first third of the book that took place in Italy. I liked her character, and her writing style which was very casual and much like she was just talking to you as her best friend. But there were things that occurred during her spiritual quest in India that I could not get past. She studied meditation and yoga there. She struggled immensely with the meditation. But then went from struggling terribly one day to having the ultimate Godly experience, achieving the ultimate goal of meditation, the next. I didn't buy into it, and I think the author never truly got me back after that. The last third of the book took place in Bali. The setting was portrayed beautifully, and I guess I enjoyed this part of the book almost as much as the Italy portion. In Bali, she finds friendship, romance and ultimately happiness.

My overall opinion of this one was that it was a disappointment. I expected more. I am glad that I read it, however, because now at least I know what everyone else is referring to, even if I do not share the viewpoint of those who are paid to know about such things. I will say that the overall opinion of our book club matched my own. We were all unsure of why there was such critical acclaim surrounding this book.

Happy Reading!

No comments: