Sunday, September 4, 2011

Millie's Fling

Millie's Fling was a silly romance by Jill Mansell.  I had not read any other Jill Mansell books.  After reading The Book Thief, I needed something light, escapist and silly.  Millie's Fling was a "free Fridays" selection for my nook, and I thought it would fit the bill.

Unfortunately, this book fell flat for me.  It was simple, silly, fluffy, etc.  But it didn't satisfy whatever it was that I was craving after the heavy tone of The Book Thief, but then again because I loved The Book Thief so much, maybe this book was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.  The book is about two girls who live together.  One is in a long distance relationship, and misunderstandings ensue almost breaking the couple up.  The other, Millie, has recently been dumped and swears off men.  But then she finds a wallet, prank calls the owner and ends up meeting him and liking the guy.  Of course, his wife died recently so he isn't interested in a romance.  They hang out as friends and it turns into more.  Misunderstandings ensue...You get the idea.

The characters were barely likable (the main characters lie on a regular basis), the plot was barely there, the dialogue was forced.  The romance was okay, but this storyline has been done so many times before that if you are going to use it, you better make it new.  And Mansell just didn't.

It was quick, it was easy.  It was sold as being funny but really wasn't.  If you like simple romances set in England, maybe this would be for you.  I have not sworn off Jill Mansell, but don't know that I will ever seek out her books either.

Happy Reading!

No comments: