Monday, June 2, 2008

The Host

I finished The Host last night. It was a good read. I was hooked into it almost right away and couldn't wait to see how it would end. The premise of the book is very sci-fi, which I typically don't get into. But this was very interesting. The earth has been taken over by parasite beings called "souls". They are very peaceful, kind and honest creatures, with the exception that they invade planets and take over. They live inside the "host" humans and have all of their memories and past experiences to guide them. The main character of the book is an alien being, a "soul". Her "host" did not willingly give up her mind and the two struggle for control. The end result is that the two of them work together toward one common goal. Finding the "host's" little brother and the man that she loves.

Stephanie Meyer does a fantastic job of making the alien parasite human and likable. Not only because she takes over a human body, but because of the things she believes in and ultimately the sacrifices she makes. I found myself rooting for her and not wanting her time on Earth or the friendships she made to end.

I am also finding a theme to Stephanie Meyer's books. The idea that two men can be in love with one woman. And that woman loves them both, but differently. In this book, really it was two men in love with one body but two different minds and personalities. Her young adult series, Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse have the same issue. But I guess a lot of books that have romance in them have that recurring theme.

I did think that the book was a little drawn out. There were times that the author infused too much detail, or maybe just spent to much time on one "scene", for lack of a better word. The book could have dragged on, if I had not been so interested in seeing where it was going. And there was just enough action put into those longer parts of the book to keep the reader hooked. That being said, I am sorry that my time with the "soul", Wanderer, and her human friends has come to an end.

Overall, I would recommend this book. It was an entertaining read and one that made me shed a few tears. Any book that elicits emotion is a good book, in my opinion. If you care enough about the characters to get emotional about what is happening to them, then the author has done his/her job.

Happy Reading!

No comments: