Saturday, August 30, 2008

Fourplay

Fourplay by Jane Moore is a fun, frivolous read. (Another one of my beach picks that I didn't read at the beach.) It is also an endearing, touching tale. The book is about a woman named Jo who's husband leaves her and their two children for a secretary at work, and how she learns to deal with his infidelity, dating again, and finding herself.

It is a bit predictable, as most romance novels. But this novel is not just a romance, it is a story of personal struggle, family ties, and coming of age at 33. The novel spans a couple of years, so it really gives you a peek Jo's life and it is a more realistic view of relationships than most romance novels. It takes Jo some time to move on from her marriage, even though it wasn't perfect to begin with. I liked that she didn't just automatically jump into bed and fall in love with the next guy and ride happily into the sunset. It takes her some time to find a place for herself and there are bumps and bruises along the way. In the end, of course she rides into that sunset, but the journey there was endearing and touching.

I loved the other characters in the novel - her best friend, Rosie and her brother Tim. I loved that she was so close with her brother and the relationship that he had with her children. Jo's mother is also an interesting character that offers more complexity to the novel than a typical romance.

There was one event that I didn't see coming, that had me in tears. I love it when a book can get some form of emotion from the reader. I feel that the author has done a good job if the reader cares enough about the characters to be happy, sad or angry for them. There is definitely a moment in this book that requires tissues.

Overall, although mostly predictable, I liked this book. The characters were interesting and the story was sweet and heart felt. Not a top pick or one of my favorite books, but one that was worth my time.

Happy Reading!

No comments: