Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Lean Mean Thirteen/Fearless Fourteen

I am lumping these two together because I read them in quick succession. I am a huge Janet Evanovich/Stephanie Plum fan. I have been reading her books for years and usually when the next in the series comes out, I go back and re-read all of the previous books prior to starting the new one. However, with four kids and a busy life, and thirteen previous novels, I can't do that anymore. So I just re-read the last one.

Lean Mean Thirteen is hilarious. Stephanie Plum is always funny, but this one really had me laughing out loud. There is a bit throughout the book about the cable company that is one of Evanovich's best. I love that every one's response to the cable company is exactly the same. In addition to the cable company laugh, there are exploding stuffed wildlife, and enough sexual tension to feel through the pages. For those who have not read Stephanie's previous adventures, there are two men in her life. This book gives a good mix of the two. For Ranger fans, there is quite a bit of Ranger action. For Morelli fans, there is also a bit of good Morelli sexiness and sweetness. Thirteen is one of my favorites in the series.

Fearless Fourteen is not quite as laugh out loud funny but that doesn't mean it doesn't have its moments. Moments that you just have to share with someone because they are so clever and funny. Lula plays a big role in this one, a side plot of her own in a way. I didn't feel that Grandma Mazur was in this one quite as much as the last one and she is a character that I love. This book focuses more on Morelli, but there are good Ranger moments as well. I feel that this one leaves Morelli and Stephanie's relationship on a different level. Morelli says some things that leave no doubt about his feelings for Stephanie and it is very sweet.

Overall, of course I would recommend it, but not one of my favorites. Usually the books in this series leaving me wanting more right away. Evanovich usually leaves us hanging with some detail. This one felt pretty wrapped up. There are only questions left about Lula's side plot -- not something that will keep me hanging until next time.

Happy Reading!

No comments: