Monday, October 12, 2009

Dead Until Dark

Dead Until Dark is the first book in the Sookie Stackhouse series by author Charlaine Harris. This series is the basis for the TV series True Blood. Having seen just two episodes of True Blood, I was very interested in the books. Dead Until Dark did not disappoint.

Sookie Stackhouse is a waitress in a local bar, in a small town in northern Louisiana. She has a disability, or a gift, depending on how you look at it. She can read minds. A vampire walks into the bar one night and Sookie can't hear his thoughts. She is immediately intrigued and attracted to the silence. But when young women start showing up dead, she begins to wonder who she can trust and if she will be the next victim.

The book was fast paced and fun, and Sookie is instantly likable. It was a mix of genres - mystery, horror and romance, satisfying to many readers. Had I not seen a little of the television show, I may have been a little confused at first in the book. Some details are glossed over, casually and quickly mentioned before moving on. However, by about 40 pages in I was hooked and did not find any more of those confusing moments. The book is different from the TV series, at least the two episodes that I saw. I say that with very limited experience with the TV series, and I understand why the changes were made. The storyline, as it is presented in the book, may not lend itself to be played out in the same order in the television show.

I truly enjoyed this book from start to finish and can't wait to sink my teeth into the next one in the series. Happy Reading!

No comments: