Monday, September 15, 2008

Call of the Wild

My nine year old son asked me to read this. He finished it recently and said that he thought Daddy and I might enjoy it. He read the abridged and adapted version. I loved that he wanted to share a book with me. He sees me share my love of reading with my friends, and it meant so much to me that he wanted to share a good book with me. I promised him that as soon as I finished the book I was reading (Cane River) I would read it.

I sat down on Saturday afternoon, and read his book cover to cover in about an hour and a half. I am sure I read it at some point in my childhood, but I don't remember when, and I didn't remember the story. It was a great read. Very entertaining, action packed and sweet. The story covers the adventures of a dog named Buck as he is stolen and put to work in Alaska during the gold rush. There is a lot of violence and death in this book. I was a little surprised by that.

There were moments when I was fearful for Buck, and moments when I cried. Anytime an author can evoke an emotion, I think they have done their job. There is no question why this book is a classic. Definitely worth reading, and re-reading if it has been years since you have read it.

Happy Reading!

No comments: