Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Lunatic Cafe

This is the fourth novel in the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series. In this edition, Anita faces some lycanthropes (shapeshifters - humans that can change into animals) with less than admirable hobbies. She has to get to the bottom of a slew of missing lycanthropes and in order to do so, has to get close to some shifty characters (pun intended).

As with the others, this is a thoroughly entertaining read. I finished it in a day and a half. This one does get a little more graphic. One of the hobbies involved making adult films and the author goes into detail about what is seen on the screen. While the main character remains rather chaste with some serious sexual tension, the remaining characters are not so innocent in their actions. I think it is a good way for the author to stay true to who her character is, but add the steamy scenes that her fans may be asking for. From what I understand, all that changes and the novels get a lot more graphic as they go along.

For now, it was a great read and the minute I was done, I picked up the next book, Bloody Bones. I am hooked for the time being and can't see myself letting this series go to pick up something else in the near future.

Happy Reading!

No comments: